The Center was established in the year 2010 with the support of Oxfam Novib, Diakonia, Marie Saibene, Spazio Solidale, ARC, Local and Diaspora Community and GECPD’s own contribution. It was furnished in 2011 and 2012 with the support of CIDA through NPA under the Canadian Fund for Local Initiatives program and Oxfam Novib. The main purpose of the center is to provide the youth a place where they can meet and constructively engage as a strategy towards mitigating the risk factors that could make them resort to social debauchery and other criminal activities due to lack of proper guidance in life.
Facilities at the center include 3 blocks buildings comprising of; a Library/ICT Center, 1 Auditorium, 1 Meeting Room, 1 Guidance and Counseling Room, 1 Registry, 4 Office Rooms, 12 Toilets, a Canteen, a Dormitory with capacity of 180 persons, Basketball Court, Volleyball Pitch with 500 Seater Grand Stand, Football Pitch with 800-Seater Grand Stand, Changing Room, Prayer room and a Children’s Park.
Programs being offered at the center include Sports (Soccer, Basketball), Life Skills development, Talent nurturing clinics, Mentorship programs, Guidance and Counseling. The program seeks to realize the following outcomes;
- Protect the youth and adolescents through strengthening commitment and support for their rights and special needs
- Increase access to comprehensive, youth friendly, gender and age sensitive education and services to improve the physical and intellectual development of adolescents.
- Develop a cadre of young future leaders and peace advocates who will establish a foundation of trust, confidence and understanding within the resident communities
- Avail facilities where adolescents can meet and organize themselves plan and transact club activities
- Strengthen links between the adolescents, youth and the community
- Provide and enhance positive experiences for the young people, which will contribute towards their personal development
- Adolescents and youth enabled to make more informed choices about their affairs through life skills development